Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A Dangerous Tea Tin That Was Not A Tea Tin

Tea is not my only addiction.

I have an addiction to hidden things, they call them eggs, or hidden eggs or Easter eggs or sometimes even subliminal messages. Several years ago I took a class in Psychology that covered subliminal messages extensively. Since then I've found that I cannot look in a magazine without looking for hidden things. I've found two shocking ones on my journeys. The first and worst was a swastika on a mountain in the background of a car ad. I don't trust my memory of which car company so I won't chance blaming the wrong company until I track the magazine down again. I know I kept that one. The other less controversial, and OK to laugh at, one had a glamour model posing in front of some trucks selling some expensive clothing. If you look really close you can tell that the trucks are carrying manure. Now, these were both ten or fifteen years ago so you'll have to forgive my not having examples. They aren't what this post is about anyway.

I vaguely remembered seeing something about a controversial tea tin a few months ago that had to be changed because it had tiny people and animals having sex hidden in the scenery. I've spent the last few days tracking down where I saw this and finally found it at eggs.com. Sadly enough I could not find an actual image of it anywhere on the web but I did come across a blog that had something almost exactly like this. Only problem was that it wasn't a tea tin after all, it was in fact a tea biscuit tin. Close enough, but not what I was looking for. I'll give you a little photo but if you want the story you might as well go over to the sayanythingblog to see a larger version and the story that goes along with it. It's not all that shocking but still a little entertaining.



I think that there must be some really good hidden things in tea packages or on tins out there and I'll keep my eyes open for you. By any chance do you happen to know of any?

Feel free to post about non-tea related eggs or even subliminal messages you've found in this posts comments. Please remember that everyone probably already knows that the Joe Cools nose looks rather phallic. In fact it would be best to just avoid cigarettes and alcohol ads completely. Wrong addiction! It's more interesting to find a genital or two in an ad put out by one of the "good guys." Since were on the topic, here's a strange page that has "The Phallic Logo Awards." I'd rate the page PG just because these are actually the logos of the companies mentioned. Fortunately no tea companies have made the list...

yet.

Now go have a nice hot cup.

6 comments

At 9/16/2005 08:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those two animals bumping uglies in the woods by far beats those weird subliminal images on the Camel Cigarette package. These subtle forms of anarchy are what keep life from devouring itself completely. Abstractions are inedible, and help stave off social cannibalism. Anybody still with me?

 
At 9/16/2005 08:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, my link (above) isn't working. Here is the full url: http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/camel.asp

 
At 9/17/2005 10:37:00 PM, Blogger Matthew K. Petty said...

Here's your link to the above mentioned page.

Blogger has an odd way of dealing with links in comments. I had to look up how to do it right myself. It was adding "blogger.com" to the begining of the link if I didn't put "http://" in front of it. Here's the cheat sheet for using HTML tags in Blogger comments.
Blogger Help: Keeping Comments Clean

 
At 9/19/2005 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Chandira said...

That's awesome... I love that kind of stuff...

And I'm a fellow tea addict, living in Seattle, coffee capital of the universe..

 
At 9/19/2005 12:26:00 PM, Blogger Matthew K. Petty said...

Congratulations on surviving in such a hostile environment!

I'm thinking down the line this page might have to have a "Survivors" page for people living or working in coffee partisan environments to share their grief and started on the healing process.

Sorry to hear about the kibble incident as well.

 
At 9/21/2005 02:47:00 PM, Blogger Chandira said...

yeah, Seattle's a tough place to live if you're tea addicted.. But I think the US is generally that way. You get warm water, from the coffee machine, and Lipton's tea, and non-dairy-creamer to put in it. Bleauch..

That kibble left brain damage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home