Friday, December 30, 2005

You Can't Have a TeaBlog Without a Teapot Photo or Two.

While we're at the old camera, here are some pictures of a couple of my favorite teapots.


The one on the left was given to me by my Grandmother on her birthday from her china collection. It is of unknown origin and I'm quite curious since she hadn't been a tea drinker her self for over forty years. On its base is a simple marking of three leaves. I've done some serious looking online but I don't really have a knack for searching for "symbols" and if you happen to type in "three leaves" you're not going to get very far. Regardless of its origin it makes a fine cup of tea and I thank my Grandmother for every cup I can have from it. I like to think that that was the present she wanted for her birthday.

The one on the right came to me as a birthday present from my girlfriend this year. We had driven about 40 miles to get to a store that had a blue YiXing teapot that I had commented on many a time only to discover that it had finally been purchased. While we were in town we did a little antiquing and found this beauty for a mere fifteen dollars. It came with four cups like the one show (No, I have not broken the others.) that have a wonderful weight and feel to them. They are some of the only cups I've seen that succeed in having art on the inside of the cup without it looking forced or out of place. The set was obviously never used and still new. It probably cost whoever bought it new around fifty dollars. This is the best example I can come up with for the saying "One mans trash..." This is especially treasured since it really was a very random find, and if the original teapot were available I would not have it.

Although I love both of these teapots they haven't managed to earn a naming like our good friend "Earl" the thermos of goodwill. Although, they probably will someday due to the strange ways they came into my possession.

How about you, any tea-ware come your way through interesting means? You know I love that kind of stuff.

Now go have a cup.

1 comments

At 12/30/2005 12:40:00 PM, Blogger Matthew K. Petty said...

I have a strange feeling that the page that shows the blue YiXing teapot that was no longer in the store may not show up for others so here is a link to just the image.

Blue Mood Yixing teapot

Happy tea drinking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home