Tuesday, October 04, 2005

You Can Grow Tea In Britain?

After years of being know as a place full of tea drinkers England now has it's very own domestic supply.

Tregothnan estates.

This is puzzling, as I know it's been tried several times before with very little success. Mostly due to tea being rather fickle. Sure it'll grow in lots of places but a drinking quality tea has been an entirely different story all together.

I wonder how they plan to go about the picking and processing while conforming to labor laws and yet still make a profit. I imagine this will be a really expensive brew. Actually I don't have to imagine, it is.

I'd rather not get too deep into the conversation tea being growable in England leads us down. With questions along the line of "What was with all that Opium crap?" or "Jewel of the Crown, Eh?" it's probably best to just think that some clever gardeners have found a way to use modern technology to overcome the impossible and grow tea in England.

This particular piece of news can be found in an article called "Britain brews up its own tea" at The Australian among many other places no doubt.

Now go have a cup.

4 comments

At 10/05/2005 09:45:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! thanks for the post, I'm Britsh and didn't know that yet, in fact I might make a post about this on my own blog, where I will credit you accordingly.

They are probably using large green houses, that's how we grow vegetables through the winter here.

 
At 10/05/2005 10:51:00 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

http://shanegilreath.blogspot.com/2005/10/loneliness.html

 
At 10/05/2005 11:02:00 PM, Blogger Matthew K. Petty said...

The link mentioned above is to a page with a tea related picture on it. The page is worth a look, it tends to have nice work on it and hey this time it's tea.
Loneliness

 
At 10/07/2005 10:06:00 AM, Blogger Chandira said...

Tea growing in England, huh? Wow.
Well, I'll be there in just a few hours! I've been so homesick.. yay!!
I'll be avoiding the PG Tips as best I can while I'm home though. Yick.
I got sent a box of PG, and it really was gross. I think it has more of a sentimental value. lol Nice to look at the box and be reminded of home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home